Monday, March 14, 2011

St. Patrick's Day Shamrock Buns Tutorial


Want some cute dinner buns to go along with your St.Patrick's Day meal? These were a big hit at my house and I bet they will be at your house too! 

You will need to prepare the dough using my "Easiest Homemade Buns From Scratch" recipe. 
You can find that recipe by clicking HERE!
I cut my recipe in half and it made 14 good sized buns. 

When the dough has risen and you have kneaded it four times and let it sit for ten minutes - you are ready to shape them into shamrocks.

1. On a well floured surface, roll dough with a rolling pin into approximately, a 10x12 rectangle.

2. Cut long strips, 1/2-3/4" wide.


3. Roll each individual strip on your floured surface so dough is rounded (this reminded me of my play dough days), and extended in length to be approximately 18 inches. This stage of the shamrock is in the bottom of the picture above. 

4. Take the rounded strip and make a loop leaving about 2 1/2 inches for your shamrock stem. (Pictured at the top of the above picture)


5. Make another loop. (Pictured above left).

6. Finish up your shamrock by looping the remaining dough and tucking the end in the back (pictured above right). Just to note - my first few looked scary, but I got the hang of it. 

7. Cover and let rise for about an hour. 

8. Make bun glaze: 1 egg and 1 T. milk stir well.
Use pastry brush to apply glaze.

9. Cook in 375 degree pre-heated oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown. 


So cute and so yummy and not too complicated. Why don't you give it a try?

Linked up
HERE!

and
here
Childmade


Tip Junkie handmade projects
  

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Great idea, so cute! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is great source of information about Saint Patrick’s Day which is very useful for me. It very important information about Saint Patrick’s Day
    Thank you very much for this useful information.

    AMAZING DECIRATION TIPS FOR SAINT PATRICKS DAY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I saw this on Pinterest, and I want to post it on my blog! I'm putting it up for St. Patrick's day... hope that's ok with you. I'll give you full credit, of course! Let me know if that's a problem, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog is great source of information about saint patrick’s day which is very useful for me. It very important information about saint patrick’s day
    Thank you very much for this useful information.

    Thanks for this great information.

    Amazing Shamrock Roll Recipe For Saint Patrick’s Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha green food coloring makes green shamrocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can any part of this recipe be made ahead of time? I am having friends over on St. Patty's day and would like to make the dough the day before and then pop them in the oven prior to serving. Would this work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry this is late - you certainly can. This recipe actually calls for the dough to be made the day before and refrigerate overnight.

      Delete