Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Love Pillows - Wedding Gift Idea


I like to give original gifts for special occasions like weddings. I have seen pillows around blog land that have spelled "LOVE" and thought that would be a unique gift. You could just buy pillow cases and transfer the letters on - but I decided to make everything from scratch. These pillows are more like throw pillows and I didn't want the opening on the side like most pillow cases - so I made envelope slip cover pillow cases. Here is what I did....

1. Purchase pillows. To make a pillow case pattern I found a pillow case that fit the pillows, turned it inside out and cut out two front pieces from pre-washed fabric. My fabric was a cotton/poly blend. My front pieces measured 27 inches x 21 inches BUT PILLOWS ARE DIFFERENT so that might not be the same measurement to use for the pillows you purchase. I printed out the letters using a free font called "Vanessa" (I had a few possible fonts I was going to use but the name of this font was the name of the bride so I thought that was cool). I printed them out the biggest they could fit on a page - the L and V are capitals, the o and e are lower case. I used one transfer per letter - so in other words, one letter should fill a whole 8 1/2 x 11 page. Remember to reverse the image. I used Jolee's Transfer paper that I purchased at Michael's.

2. Iron on the transfer using the package directions.

3. Cut two back pieces per pillow - making sure you have enough fabric to overlap one of the sides. Check out my envelope slip cover tutorial for more information. My measurements for each back piece was 16 inches x 21 inches - Remember - every pillow is different so do your own measuring. I finished each inner edge, folded it over 2 inches and sewing that secured. I layed the back pieces over the letter piece - right sides together - or in other words,  the letters will be on the inside and the non-seam side of the back will be on the inside. Sew all the way around the pillow, sewing an extra stitch at the opening so it will be durable for taking the pillow in and out.

4. Put in the pillows - and you have a fabulous gift. Oh yeah, I bought some other throw pillows to match that were the wedding colors. I could have sewn them BUT I found some at a price that I couldn't have made them for less.

Thanks for stopping by!

linked up to...

Tip Junkie handmade projectslil luna link party button

17 comments:

  1. nice blog about wedding gift ideas.please update your blog information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a lover but would LOVE to have a set od those adorable L O V E pillows.

    I have seen some before and thought they were so cute

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing great wedding Gift Ideas for Girls with gift post your great blog with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute idea. I really like this project, I'm going to have to add it to my to-do list!
    Jessica,
    http://thatgivesmeanidea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how these turned out! They look beautiful. :) Following you from Tip Junkie‘s link party. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog. Hope to see you there. :)

    Ginger
    gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I can't wait to make these. I would love it if you would link up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now: http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/07/tuesday-confessional-link-up-2.html. I hope to see you soon!
    ~Macy from Confessions of a SAHM

    ReplyDelete
  7. so so so so beautiful!!! GREAT work :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Featuring YOU over on my blog. :) Thank you for linking up at {wow me} wednesday last week.

    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saw you on a linky party, what great work! I am now google following you, please pop by, Karima x
    www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. these are soo cute! What an awesome gift :)

    Coley at
    www.whatyoumakeit-coley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovable pillow !!! These are best wedding gifts for wedding couple. I call it Bedroom Pillow !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi. Greetings. This post is really good and blog is really interesting. It gives good details.

    Wedding Gift Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  13. My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!

    Gift Ideas For Girl

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, handmade things are really the most effective gift to be bestowed to our dear one. It reflects the love and heart with the sweetness for the one WHO is special. Handmade gifts are preferred over traditional gift currently because these don't seem to be only considered as gift, however as the simplest way to specific feelings to somebody. I personally also adore Wedding gifts lots.

    ReplyDelete