Monday, August 1, 2011

A Bag With a Twist - tutorial


I saw this idea on Pinterest and I had to try it. They are so much fun to make - and a little addicting because of that. The tutorial I used was on DIY Wedding Ideas - please go there and see what their bag with a twist looks like. They used this idea for a wedding favor. They sewed the bag together - and although I do have a sewing machine - I made mine a little different....

1. First of all, I printed out on a regular piece of paper the image called Antique French Newspaper from Graphics Fairy. I had to put two of these images on the page to fill the whole 8 1/2 x 11 inch area. After I printed the image out, I cut one inch off the top and side to make my paper 7 1/2 x 11 inches. You can keep it the full size - I just wanted my bag to be a little smaller than what a full page bag would make. Then I put a piece of double sided tape down the whole right back side.

2. With the sticky exposed - bring the other side of the paper over to make a tube and stick it together.

3. Without creasing the sides -  fold up the bottom about 1/2 and inch and staple at least twice.

4. Now for the top you want to turn the tube so that you will close it the opposite direction as the bottom.  I just fold the top over for now - as I want to fill it with some goodies.


I punched a lattice edge from my Martha Stewart punch for the top and bottom edges and applied them on with staples. I tied on a bow, and added a metal "Believe" tag. I am going to make a whole bunch more of these for Christmas. 

I made a smaller bag by putting two images on one page and cutting the page in half. These little bags are just adorable. On this one I sewed the bottom edge to enclose it and I punch two holes in the top and tied it shut with a ribbon.  The image I used on this one is from Graphics Fairy -Vintage Floral Spray Postcard

I am loving these bags - and I am thinking you will too! Go on and give it a try!

Linking up to....

Graphics Fairy - Brag Monday

3 comments:

  1. I saw this on there a few weeks ago and pinned it too! :) Wonderful idea to do them for Christmas. What will you fill them with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking of putting candy like werthers in there. Baking would go well too, I would just need to plastic wrap it first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did this for our frugal scrapbooking day at RS a couple of years ago. It is so easy and gets a great result. Having fun catching up on your blog as it's been a while since I visited. Hope you're ready for a great summer. Congrats to Maria on her grad.

    ReplyDelete